8/19/05

You asked for it, you got it, Lisa

ONCE upon a time there was a little girl who attended a small one room school... it was, actually, in the basement of the church her dad pastored. And to further the interest, the intrepid teacher of this diminutive school was her aunt. There were, on the peak year, twelve students who spent their days imbibing wisdom and knowledge like a smack* of jelly fish caught in a sand storm. They all loved school and wept when there were snow days.

For gym class they enjoyed a plethora of unusual games or sports. One of which was balloon volleyball played inside on the carpeted school room's floor. For a net, a line of colorful yarn spanned the width of the room, tied to the knob of a door and the latch of a window. Even though, as would be expected, it was a game in slow motion because the balloon was never in any particular hurry, they regularly came away with rug burns on elbows and knees. Some days, during the midmorning break, they pushed their desks into the middle of the room and turned the outer edge into a race track. Zooming around the room, they laughed and yelled, blowing off steam built over the hours spent brain stretching. Until just recently, for it was just repainted, one could visit that room and still see the scuffs and nicks on the walls left from their wild dashing.

They had a really cool teacher.

Anyhow, the narrator has digressed. This little girl was named Lisa. She was a star student. She always got A's. She was loved by all the other students, they looked up to her and when asked what they wanted to be when they grew up, they always answered; "I want to be just like Lisa when I grow up." She also, was very cool.

And she still is, even though she has grown up to become an Adult (not that there's anything wrong with Adults...). She writes amazingly, she's terribly smart, she loves God with all her heart (which is the most important thing of all), and she also loves her family. And her family loves her. All in all, she's amazing.

And that's the end of my little tale.


*group

13 comments:

Booker said...

So that's how YOU remember it all, eh? Interesting. Someone been messing with your neural netways recently? :)

Laughter said...

It's called poetic licence, DJ.

Do you really want to hear what I remember?

Like when I put you in your place... ?

Hmmmmm?


Good word, btw. Neural. I like.

Anonymous said...

Well, I asked for it, didn't I? Thanks, sis!

But may I point out that I got my first (and only) F at said Harvest View? I did! I did! Jellyfish was a good description of my brain before the advent of Aunt and T.S. But after: oh, the curiosity, and oh, the study habits.

C'mon, Derrick, it wasn't all bad! We had some pretty entertaining current events conversations. And don't forget the colonial meal, when we ate with our fingers. And what about the pine cone fights when you were a hired mercenary? And do you remember the insect collection and the cow's (beware, Claire) eyeball?

Hmmm... better save something for a future post.


Lisa

Kate said...

oo ooo! and playing football and running races? and endless games of mancala? and the african study and french with Monseiur Stoneman the scary professor? Sigh.. I don't think I had a better time in my educational experience than I did there. (forgetting all the bad parts of course)

CKS said...

You all sound so junevile in this post.

:-)

(there, now I'm just a little bit more like Lisa)

Anonymous said...

hee hee!

And I was SO pleased that I knew a word that Derrick didn't!

Lisa

TripleNine said...

What I remember the most is the girl to guy ratio and always being outnumbered at least three to one.

Booker said...

Laughter- I guess it would be called PL, wouldn't it? Cause I sure don't remember you putting me in my place. But that doesn't mean much. A teen boy forgets lots of things. Hahhahaa :)

Lisa-which word was that? I seem to have 'conveniently' wiped that memory :)

Neural-a good science fiction word if ever there was one.

As for my memories, yeah, there were good things, predominantly good. But I am still glad they are done.

Laughter said...

Well, our teacher remembers it rather well... because she was surprised that I did it.

So, I leave it at that.

*smiles sweetly*

CKS said...

"Junevile," DJ, the word I used in my comment, since I was referencing that discussion you had with Lisa. I remember it and I wasn't even there!

DJ, do you still hate Andersons? I remember during your Harvest View days that you would rant about how you couldn't stand Andersons. Has that worn off yet? (Maybe I shouldn't ask...)

Laughter said...

HEY, be nice in my blog!

...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the defense, Derrick. I was okay with it, but I can't speak for all Andersons. Yes, we are strong medicine sometimes, but oh, is it fun to be us!

And it sounds like I need to retell the word slip story. It was at least ten years ago, and I was talking to Derrick at church (or school - same place!). I used the word "junevile," and D. looked at me funny.

"HA," I thought smugly. "I know a word he doesn't know!" (Perhaps I was feeling a little angst at the way he always got math done way before me!)

"Ah," said D, poking my smug little bubble neatly. "You mean 'juvenile.'"

It still makes me laugh!

Booker said...

Hahahah. And you know what is really funny? I still don't remember it :) lol...