11/4/05

Oy vey!

What DO I do? In about twenty-five days, Lisa and I will board a plane bound for Israel (D.V. of course). I love Israel, but it's a quiet thing with few outward manifestations like some people I know. Which sometimes makes me wonder what on earth is wrong with me. But, of course we need all kinds, can you imagine if everyone was like... well, like those who express their fervency in more of an outward manner.

In my contemplations about my intended trip I've come to the decision that I really love my home and friends here and don't want to leave. However, I also think of what opportunities will take me by the throat (yes, this is often how I view change and unusual happenings in my life) over in Israel, and find myself wishing to dive right in. Somewhat like doing a cannonball into a frigid lake instead of slow, painful immersion. Iiieeeeeyowww. Not good. Wait a sec... yes, good. What an amazing opportunity I have! So many new people to meet, places to see, things to experience, and daily chances to work on changing my personality from retiring to wildly sanguine.

As it looks now, I'll be working with the Phanns/UHL doing grunt work. Whatever needs to be done. Transcribing, making meals, this and that. I can't seem to get a straight answer from Lisa. Probably because she doesn't know for sure either. It'll be like a treasure box, only to be opened once I arrive.

I'll get to meet the mass of friends Lis and Kate gathered while there before, and Kate is sending a pile of old pictures with me to use as clues in a treasure hunt. If I manage to get a camera in hand before I leave, I'll take those pictures with me as I wander the countryside to see if I can manage to replicate them with a new and improved photo. It sounds like a lot of fun.

Oh, did I forget to mention how long I would be over there? Seven months is the plan. I hadn't quite realized the exact length of time until one day Lis was talking to someone about our projected trip and stated the length. I was extremely surprised, to put it mildly. More like: Rachel's hair stands on end. Aaaaaaah! Yikes. :-D

There's a few thoughts. My attention span just left for other horizons, so I think I'll follow it for now. I'm sure you'll hear more on the subject in the days and months to come.

15 comments:

TripleNine said...

Dude! That is a very long time! What led to this happening?

CKS said...

Have fun opening Pandora's Box, or whatever you said it would be like!

Laughter said...

W, I'll keep y'all posted (pun intended).

And yes, it is a long time.

Asaphat, thanks, but I really hope it is not Pandora's box. This is what it held:

Within this box had malignantly been crammed all the diseases, sorrows, vices, and crimes that afflict poor humanity; and when the box was no sooner opened, than all these ills flew out, in the guise of horrid little brown-winged creatures, closely resembling moths. These little insects fluttered about, alighting, some upon Epimetheus, who had just entered, and some upon Pandora, pricking and stinging them most unmercifully. They then flew out through the open door and windows, and fastened upon the merrymakers without, whose shouts of joy were soon changed into wails of pain and anguish... etc.

Claire said...

Wah! I weel mees yew! Waaah!

TripleNine said...

You forgot the best part, hope coming out after all the ills had left and comforting humanity by showing that all was not lost.

Laughter said...

Hmm... W... you ruined it! Hehee. jk. Thanks for the rounded out picture.

This is what lead it to happen. Being led through the dark. Though I have yet to see a light at the end of the tunnel. My reasons for going? Prayer. Faith for miracles. And simply a desire to be a witness for Christ and His Kingdom.

Beyond that, I have absolutely no idea. However, Claire asked me to enjoy it for her because she'd love to go. So, if anyone wants me to enjoy it for them in a vicarious way, just list your name and I'll see what I can do. :-)

Anonymous said...

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=115097

I saw this and though of you.

Laughter said...

Thanks, Jayne. It's fascinating. I wouldn't mind doing it myself. :)

Marie said...

Wow! That was one of my reactions. So cool. You go girl, enjoy it for me too. I think I'd like to go back sometime:)
God bless ya chile! That is sooooooo coooooooool!:))(BIG GRIN)

Isaac Demme said...

"So, if anyone wants me to enjoy it for them in a vicarious way, just list your name and I'll see what I can do. :-)"

Oooh me! Pick me, pick me!

Seriously sounds like it could be an awesome experience. Godspeed!

Kate said...

Put me on your list too, Rachel! I love that place and those people SO MUCH. I am glad you are going, and I know sometimes I am going to wish I was over there with you ever so much. So enjoy it for me!

Booker said...

Yep, add me to that list. Cause if I don't have to enjoy it in person I'll enjoy it much better, lol...

Laughter said...

That's ok, Ryu, you can just stay home and read O Jerusalem. :)

Laughter said...

And to the rest of you who wished to be on The List... consider yourselves added. :-D

Anonymous said...

I'm already there. (on the list that is)

-Joshua