2/19/06

A word to the confused

Ok, that was weird.

This morning, after I'd dragged myself from my bed at a scary 1 AM according to my befuddled body clock, I slowly made my way down stairs to find something for breakfast. I really didn't want to eat much, so I grabbed a tangerine from the basket on the counter. My fingers sank into its flesh; it was rotten at the top. Oh yuck! Off to the trash it sailed as I turned quickly to wash the grossness from my fingertips. After drying my hands, I carefully chose a firm tangerine. With that in hand, I opened the fridge and bent down a little to peer in. Hhhm, I think we need to go shopping... aha! Yogurt.. yum.

The container had only Hebrew and Arabic on its sides, which is not unusual, so when I realized it was yellow instead of light blue, I called over my shoulder to ask Sarah if she knew what flavor it was. "Is it banana?" Anyone who knows me well will remember how I abhor bananas. Sarah didn't think it was, so I figured it was another strange Israeli flavor like butterscotch or raisins and brandy. So, I decided to be brave and opened the container. It seemed a little bit creamier than usual, but then who was I to question it? Yogurt in Israel is always thicker and fattier than in the US. I stirred it and took a small preparatory taste. Huh, usually plain yogurt doesn't have this much tang. But plain yogurt in Israel is a little sweeter than in the US. So maybe it's ...sugarless? Oh well. I also figured it might taste sharper than usual because I'd just brushed my teeth.

I shrugged and carried it upstairs to eat while sitting on my bed, computer on lap, checking my e-mail and a few blogs. I ate the yogurt slowly with small bites because it still seemed a lil bit thicker and tangier than usual. I finally set it aside to ask Lisa to read the Hebrew for me once I'd finished my current task. My stomach was complaining a little, but I figured it was merely an offshoot of jet lag/stomach shock. E-mails checked and blogs visited, I walked to Lisa's door and with a plaintive tone I asked her to tell me what flavor the blooming stuff was. One glance at the container sent her into a burst of laughter.

"Ha hahaha, Rachel, that's sour cream!"

Oh.

How on earth was I supposed to know? It didn't taste like US sour cream. The containers even look practically the same. Sigh.

I carried it down stairs again, feeling a bit silly. I told Sarah about my mistake and we both started laughing. Ha hahaha!

Thank you, thank you... it is my distinct pleasure to bring a ray of sunshine and laughter to an otherwise cold and gloomy morning (even though my stomach still isn't very happy with me...)

I love us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never did cotton to Yogurt much---I think I'd rather have a bit of sour cream instead---but NOT as a main course! I'd prefer 4 o' those chicken thingys over easy like, 4 strips o' real crispy bacon, grits with a bit o' butter on 'em, half dozen light, flaky biscuits, a tall stack o' flapjacks with genuine Maple syrup and a pot o' pipin' hot coffee... ...Thet would almost hold me 'till second breakfast...

Marie said...

who is he? anyways this story is funny. I've taken a gulp of bad milk before out of a carton and had to run to the bathroom, at a restaurant, to spit it out before...it was given to me by my sister, and she was working. Good thing she didn't give it to any one else:) I thought that little anecdote somehow ties into your story...
there have been times where i haven't posted on your blog cause with my computar the comment box would take a long time to come up... it might just be our computar. Today I'm at the library and the comment box came up quick...
How's IsreaL?