10/7/05

Things to avoid

-a territorial rooster
-overripe bananas (on second thought, all bananas)
-a ceiling fan right over a bunk bed
-the female brain
-the piece of real estate directly behind a grouchy equine
-squdgie grapes
-touching the end of a nine volt battery to the tip of your tongue
-wrestling with a friend who is stronger than you, unless you enjoy being creamed
-riding a scooter down a rain-slicked hill
-standing on a wheeled office chair
-standing near a fire ant hill
-driving a lawn mower directly beneath a branch which only just clears the seat back
-eating plain cocoa powder
-rug burns on the face (don't ask)
-eating inhabited peaches
-tripping while mucking out a barn
-holding a sister's hand while she touches the electric fence (the current skips her and gets you)
-swimming in leech infested waters
-large angry billy goats with big horns
-forgetting to put the roll of film in the camera before use
-soggy Cheerios
-spilling hot wax on your favorite shirt
-the careless navigation of a creek using slippery stones
-placing a hot glass baking dish in cold water
-taking a nap under the hot sun while wearing sunglasses (think raccoon)
-telling Joe B. Jr. that you know how to butcher chickens
-losing the rip cord on the way down
-shooting a gun at a body of water
-joking about faux bombs in earshot of airport security
-nagging ("which is the repetition of unpalatable truths." Edith Clara Summerskill)
-writing long lists without any apparent end
-this must be the end then, apparently

12 comments:

Kristi said...

I do hope you didn't experience all these things in one week! Bless your heart!

Booker said...

I say, how many of those thingd DID you experience anyway?

Laughter said...

About 21 or so. The rest happened to people I know.

Something like that, anyway. Don't ask me to swear it on a stack of Bibles, please. :-)

Isaac Demme said...

But if you didn't tell Jr. about your chicken-slaying skills, we would all be one unforgettable experience poorer!

melrandall said...

I love the phrase, "squdgie grapes"

Anonymous said...

Sounds scary.

Booker said...

Ahem, you should be "THE" blue knight, not just plain old blue knight. Man, knights these days are really heading downhill. I should start a school or something...

drewey fern said...

Amen, Isaac! I was going to write:

Things to be sure NOT to avoid: Being present for the results when a friend tells Joe B. Jr. that she knows how to butcher chickens.

Laughter said...

Heh, heh...

I'm glad to know I was such a hit. If I told you I enjoyed it, then I'd seem blood-thirsty, but I'm not, so I'll not say that I did.

:-D

Anonymous said...

Light hearted, controlled strength, deepest humility.
Ryusoma, let me know when your classes start. Will this be a certificate or degree program?

Anonymous said...

Oops, Blue Knight.

Anonymous said...

wow that sounded so painful. I'm still wondering how anyone could survive through all that. Well, mentally stable in any case. :O


Joshua