6/28/05

Why does everything need a title?

True compliments are gifts;
To accept one is to thank the giver.
Some of us reject them off-hand
with a pained expression and
"For me? Never!"
We think we are being humble,
But in truth it's a form of self-pride.
"It doesn't fit right, nor gives me any pleasure!
I'm not worthy of your gift
Please take it away.
I'm the worst there is and will be. Ever!"
If this strikes truth
Then here is a suggestion for you...
A complement is a gift, remember!
The gift giver has feelings, too,
If you recall.
Accepting this gift will not "wound" you forever.
Hold it with two hands,
Not two fingers.
If you can't handle it just now, however,
Set it on a shelf in plain sight
So you won't "forget" it.
Dust it once in a while and make it your endeavor
To wear it proudly one day.
Or at least without a pained expression.
If only to give the gift giver some pleasure.

11 comments:

Laughter said...

Yes, yes. I know that it's a title... like usual, I was merely looking to make people think. I was sucessful. Wahoo.

Booker said...

You weren't successful here. I was as oblivious as could be thru the whole thing...

Kate said...

Woops, I just posted a comment on the third post down...:-)

silly me.

I MEEEEEEEEEESSSSS you! I am going to SEEEEEEE you sOOOOOOOOn!

I love you.

PS. not to start a rumor or anything, but I am bringing a guy home. His name is Shlomol'e.

Kate said...

actually I spelled it wrong. It is Sholomal'e... and not related to any Batman that I know. But I'll ask him just to make sure.

Kate said...

I asked Shloimal'e and he said he didn't have any relatives named Batman. And he says you can spell his name several ways: Shloimal'e, Shloimela, or Shloymele. It is a Yiddish nickname for Solomon.

Booker said...

I concur Sonic. Try a japanese name. has the added weight of history behind it, plus, they all just sound cool...

Anonymous said...

From Now On, Please Refer To Me As:

Sonikuni

cute little cartoon picture coming up soon

Kate said...

and just for the record (for those of you who don't know me) Shlomal'e is coming home with me, but he is actually a stuffed toy. :-)

Booker said...

Oh dude. That is not good. I would seriously recommend getting some kind of pix next to your name then. That will take care of it.

And that is too bad. Cause I was looking forward to seeing what 'cartoony' pix you would use. Oh well...

TripleNine said...

What if that gift is something that you have no control over? I.E.- 'That shirt looks good on you' Especially if you didn't even pick it out but it was a gift or something. You have no control over that, how can you take responsibilty by accepting the compliment?

Laughter said...

If it's something you have no control over just remember it's God who endowed you with that which was complimented, so all you need to do is catch the compliment in both hands and instantly toss it upward to God... whether you say anything aloud about it to the complimentor or not.

I hope that made sense...